FreeMind stores his data in own XML flavor. Up to FreeMind 0.6.5, the xml format has been unchanged.
Elements and attributes in 0.7.1
The list of elements and their attributes as of FreeMind 0.7.1 follows.
- map (root element)
- version (0.7.1)
- node (parent element: node, map)
- id (0.7.1)
- position (left or right, only for children of the root) (0.7.1)
- edge (parent element: node)
- font (parent element: node)
- icon (parent element: node) (0.6.7)
- cloud (parent element: node) (0.7.1)
- arrowlink (parent element: node) (0.7.1)
- destination (id of the target node)
- startarrow (arrow style)
- endarrow (arrow style)
A W3C schema can be found in the CVS:
Extensions in version 0.9.0
FreeMind writes no XML declaration.
FreeMind ignores, upon reading a mind map, any XML declaration that can be present in a mind map file created by another program[verify].
An example declaration:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
External links: W:XHTML#XML_declaration.