The most important thing you can do to help us find and fix the bugs you report, is to make sure that you give us enough information that we can reproduce the bug. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing, for sure, that we've fixed the bug you report.
The first thing you should do, when reporting a bug, is double-check your setup, especially if you are just getting started. Make sure you are using the correct version of the Java Runtime Environment. (Currently, FreeMind is compiled and run under Java 1.4. Some of us run it under Java 1.5, and FreeMind 0.9.0 should work with 1.6 too) Make sure you have your Path and ClassPath variables set correctly.
Information to be provided
When posting a bug, please provide the following information:
- Versions and environment
- FreeMind version: An example: "FreeMind 0.9.0 RC4"
- Operating system - name and version. An example: "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2".
- Java version: The version of the Java Runtime environment. An example: "Java 1.6.0".
- Bug description
- What you were trying to do when you got the failure
- A description of the failure
- Clear instructions on how to reproduce the failure
- Sometimes it helps if you send us the actual mindmap where the problem occurred.
Model bug reports